Saturday, November 8, 2014

Psalms 37

     Years ago when our relationship with a narcissist was still in it's incipient stages, I was on my knees pouring out my heart to God, asking Him to show me out of all the Scripture what He would like for me to memorize/meditate on.  Immediately Psalms 37 went through my mind and I felt that was the answer to my prayer, although I was sort of surprised because the passages that were dearest to me were usually in the New Testament back at that time.

     Ironically, right after this popped into my mind, the phone rang and it was the narcissist who got right to the point, accusing me in a somewhat paranoid manner of something that was hardly feasible.  I was totally taken aback and I remember silently asking for wisdom and then responding with an answer that didn't deal with the accusation but rather sought to mollify the paranoia behind it. 

    Over the next few years I carried Psalms 37 with me most of the time.  I copied  verses 1  - 13 and memorized them, meditated on them, and tried to apply them to my everyday life, with varying degrees of success.  When I did obey the principles within that passage, I found peace and joy.  When I was too agitated to do that immediately, I found that exercise, journaling, a little judicious yelling and pillow throwing when no one was around ;),  and praying  Psalms 37 restored my peace of mind.
    
     When I would really reach the place where I felt like I couldn't handle anymore, I would  kneel and pray Psalms 37 and Psalms 73 out  loud and that never failed to help me to get back on track.

    The point of this blog entry is a reminder that the Christian's armor, ala Ephesians 6:10-18, has only one offensive weapon and that is Scripture.  And before I really had an inkling of what was waiting for us over the next few years courtesy of the narcissist, God knew which Scripture verses would be my main line of offense against the schemes of the devil.

   He knows which type of  Scriptural "rapier"  will work best for you in your particular situation.  Ask Him.  Then write out the passage He gives you, meditate on it, memorize key parts of it, apply it as best you can,  and speak  them back to Him in faith when the battle is the fiercest.

    


  
   

No comments:

Post a Comment