Tuesday, November 11, 2014

Isaiah 43:18

The future is uncertain - even when we think we have it all figured out.

If this blog finds you in a time of  confusion and uncertainty about the next step, I'd like to share something that God has used in my life. Again, this was  at a time when we were adjusting to inexplicable changes in our extended family and still, pretty much behind the eight ball on everything.

During this time of confusion, division, and separation, God comforted our family with this song.  It is based on Isaiah 43:18.

“Behold, I will do something new,
            Now it will spring forth;
            Will you not be aware of it?
            I will even make a roadway in the wilderness,
            Rivers in the desert."

In times of transition and uncertainty, sometimes it just helped us to listen to this song. 

In fact, many years ago, about this time of year, in the midst of growing heartache, we made a memory - a sweet one -  that is still etched on my mind long after the heartache has gone.  I was at a retreat at the time, tossing a ball back and forth between several kids and in between tosses, I quietly sang snatches of this song to my own heart.  On a grey, almost winter day, singing this song brought peace and joy  to me and over time the words of this Isaiah verse has proven true in our lives not once but several times.

When we don't know the way, He does.  Or when we see a path ahead but it looks like the same painful one we have already been walking, God can make a new way - one that we could never have envisioned.


No comments:

Post a Comment